These pictures will definitely make you appreciate where you came from and also make you appreciate where you are now. Life was quite a bit different back in 1910. People had way more pressing things to worry about other than being able to connect to wifi!
Talk about perspective. We really do live an exceedingly comfortable life compared to those who lived 100 years ago. Check it out.
1. The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.
2. 14% of the homes had a bathtub
3. 8% of the homes had a telephone.
4. There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads.
5. The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10-12 mph.
6. The average American wage in 1910 was 22 cents per hour, and the average worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
7. More than 95% of all births took place at home.
8. 99% of all doctors had no college education. Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press and the government as ‘substandard.’
9. Eggs cost 14 cents a dozen.
10. Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
11. Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn’t been invented yet.
12. 20% of adults could not read or write and only 6% of Americans had graduated from high school.